Friday, February 19, 2010

Immunity Soup

I have this one on the stove as we speak. Dr. Razi told me yesterday that shitake mushrooms, onion, garlic and ginger are key ingredients to cook with when looking for immune boosting foods. So when I ran across this recipe today in Boost Your Child’s Immune System I figured it had to be pretty good stuff.

1 onion

1 T olive oil (I am sure I used more)

A handful of Shitake Mushrooms (I used more)

1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed

1 thin slice ginger

2 pints vegetable stock

3 large carrots, peeled and sliced

1 sweet potato, chopped

½ c pearl barley (I used Israeli cousous)

1 head broccoli

A handful chopped parsley

Gently cook the onion, mushrooms, garlic and ginger. Pour stock over the sweet potato, carrots and barley. Simmer for 40 minutes. Add broccoli and simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Remove ginger and serve sprinkled with parsley. I made this as a thick soup when the little one was still on baby food and I fed it to her as a baby food. To be honest, my three year old has never been a big fan of this soup...but I enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment