Friday, March 18, 2011

Stress, Blogging and Detoxing

So, let's just get it out of the way and say it. I suck at this blogging thing. It is a lovely idea and I can't tell you how many blog posts I write in my head that never actually make it to the screen. Part of me has even thought that I should stop telling people I have a blog. So, instead of composing another post in my head as I do the dishes and fold laundry, I thought, "let me actually go upstairs to my computer". Here I am.

Riveting, huh?

My life these days is just that. I cook, clean, drive back and forth from the park, school, ballet, playdates, and the grocery store. When my kids are asleep, I work. When they are at school, I excercise. And my brain NEVER.STOPS. I need a break. I tell my clients to take time for themselves, yet, I'm not always great about following my own advice. A friend at the gym today suggested I should plan better. Sometimes I feel like everything I do is planned.

What's my point, you wonder? Well, I was downstairs thinking about all of this shoving food into my mouth because today was a horrible planning day for me in terms of food. When I plan, which I usually do, we eat very well. Today was the exception to the rule. Breakfast was normal as we have our routine of green smoothies and oatmeal. I dropped the kids at school, went to the gym, and ran home for an 11am conference call. Next thing you know, it is 12:40pm, I haven't eaten lunch, and have to pick the kids up at school in 20 minutes. I run out the door (wearing my pajamas because I don't have time to change...not that anyone would really notice the difference between my pjs and normal attire of sweatpants). My daughter shows me the Purim basket she made me, complete with chocolate chip hamentashen. I'm starving, and proceed to shove the entire cookie into my mouth as I'm loading the kids into the van. We get home, I make myself a decent lunch of leftovers from a couple nights ago. Sweet potato and beans, I think. I put the little one down for a nap, the older one heads to the park, and I get ready to take the kids to ballet and do a couple loads of laundry (where do all these clothes come from???). I get snacks for them, but not for myself. Wake the little one, she's cranky. Load the car, pick up the older one from the park. Change into ballet clothes in the car, drop the older one, take the little one to the park. I have zero clue about what to make for dinner. On the way home I'm thinking how nice it would be if fast food were an option. For me, it just isn't. We head to the grocery store and look for dinner ideas. It is 5:40 and I'm STARVING and have two kids with me. It's not pretty. Make a long story short, I couldn't find anything fast *and* decent at the grocery store, so I buy a package of sausage and decide we are having toast, eggs, greens and sausage for dinner. Fine. I AM GOING TO KNAW MY ARM OFF AT THIS POINT. As I'm making dinner, I eat 3-4 sausages and a couple pieces of cheese. The kids are melting down, the hubs is calling and wanting to know if I can run the kids outside for a second (UMMM, NO). I manage to throw a meal together (apples, left over asparagus, farm fresh eggs and toast with cheese -- the cheese is a major treat for us). We eat but the stress gets to me and after the kids go upstairs I find myself stress eating. It was just a bowl of raw kefir with hemp seeds, but the point is I'm not hungry and I've been stress/binge eating all week. I realize, I need to do this detox as much as anyone else.

So that is a lot of rambling to make this annoucement....

I'm not just going to hold your hand through this detox. I am going to do it with you. Does it require a little extra thought and planning for me that week? Sure. But, if I'm expecting everyone else to take a 5 day break from the stress and chaos of their lives, I should do the same. I'm not any different. I go through the same things you guys do and need this just as much (if not more). I did it a couple weeks ago and the results were amazing...I lost a couple pounds, I felt great, had lower stress, slept great and ate well. I'm in. Are you?

1 comment:

  1. I love this post!!! We are all the same in so many ways. Even as Health Coaches we have our moments where we need a Coach of our own. As I'm trying to perfect my cleanse, and it's been really rough to find the time to do so, I'm going through enormous stress, and very little sleep. So, I completely honor what you're doing. Keep us posted!!!

    ReplyDelete