Sunday, January 23, 2011

Super Easy Falafel with Sweet Potato and Chard Soup

Have I ever mentioned that even as a kid I didn't like candy? Or pizza? My Mother claims that I even liked liver and onions until I hit elementary school and learned my tastebuds weren't as cool as everyone else. So it probably doesn't come as much of a surprise that I've never liked fried foods. I've honestly never really understood what all the fuss was about....it just seemed like greasy, tasteless...I don't know what. Well, I think I've seen the light. What I made tonight was oh-so-yummy. I always know I have a dinner winner when I start thinking about what I am going to write in my blog as I'm eating. And, I have to tell you, the key to this dish is in the oil. You have to use coconut oil. Not only because it is so much better for you (I'd even go so far as to say it is healthy -- though NOT fat free) but because the crispy, sweet flavor is what makes this dish. And, to think I didn't think I liked fried foods.

1 15 Oz Can Cooked Chick Peas, rinsed and drained
1 Garlic Clove
1/4 Cup Onion, chopped
1/4 Cup Cilantro, chopped
1/4 Cup Parsley
1/2 Cup stone-ground wheat crackers
1 Tsp Cumin
1/2 Tsp Salt
Coconut Oil

Puree all ingredients (except oil) in food processor. Make sure the mixture is throughly combined. Heat medium saute pan heat with aprox. 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. You want the pan to have a thin coating of oil. Form patties using about 1 tablespoon of the mixture and add the patties to the pan and saute for 4 minutes on each side or until golden (you may have to add a little more oil if your pan get too dry). Remove the patties from the pan and place on a paper towel lined plate (to absorb any extra oil). Try not to eat all of the patties before you serve them.

I served the falafel with a sweet potato and chard soup.

Here is the recipe:

1 large yellow onion
1 T coconut oil
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large yam
6-7 green onions, white and green parts
6 cups mineral broth
1 bunch Swiss chard
fresh ground black pepper
a dash fresh lemon juice

Chop the onion coarsely and sauté it in the olive oil, stirring often on medium heat until it is soft and beginning to color. Add the chopped garlic, and keep cooking on a low flame, stirring often, until the onion is golden brown, about fifteen more minutes. Meanwhile, peel the yam and cut it in 1/2" dice. Wash the chard, slice the greens off the stems, and cut the leaves into 1-2" pieces. Thinly slice the chard stems. Wash and trim the green onions and cut them in 1/2" pieces. Combine the yams, chard, green onions and broth in a soup pot and simmer gently, covered, for about twenty minutes. Add the sautéed onions to the soup, and simmer another ten minutes, then taste. Add fresh ground black pepper, and some lemon juice to taste. I blended everything at the end as I think it makes it a little more kid-friendly and also easier to digest, but you don't have to do the same.

Stay warm, everyone! It is cold out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment