Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Potato & Corn Chowder w/ Fresh Sage

I know I haven't posted in awhile. Between the holidays, multiple school programs, launching my business and dealing with some deaths in the family, things have been crazy busy here. The good news is that we are almost done with January and before we know it, it will be time to plant our spring garden. I don't know about you, but I'm ready for the weather to turn and start playing outside and enjoying a bit of sunshine. The good news about these cold, winter, days where we are stuck inside is that I have lots of time to cook and experiment with new recipes. Tonight I made the most amazing soup and just had to share it with you.

If you want recipes from me more often, make sure you sign up for my newsletter. I'll be giving out recipes weekly (at least through the winter). Just send an email with "SUBSCRIBE" in the heading to joy@notjustkale.com.

Potato & Corn Chowder with Fresh Sage

2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 cup diced sweet onion
1 cup diced celery
1 medium Japanese sweet potato (the white kind - chopped)
1 large Russet potatoe (chopped)
4 cups mineral broth (see July post for recipe)
1 tablespoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons onion powder
4 tablespoons fresh chopped sage
1 tablespoon sea salt (or to taste)
1 teaspoon pepper
1 bag frozen sweet corn
1 cup whole milk

1. Heat large soup pot on medium temperature.
2. Add oil and increase heat to medium high.
3. Add onions and celery.
4. Sauté until lightly caramelized, stirring frequently (about 10 minutes)
5. Add potatoes and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add mineral broth and dry thyme.
7. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
8. Add onion powder, sage, salt, pepper and frozen corn.
9. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
10. Temper and add milk, cook until potatoes are tender. (5 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment