Saturday, July 3, 2010

Magic Mineral Broth

My obsession with broth began last fall after I got up close and personal to the magic it provides. I had a nasty case of swine flu and the only thing I could ingest was broth. I'm not kidding when I say it made me feel better immediately.

On my last visit to Dr. Razi, I asked her how I could get more vegetables into my kids. The older one is willing to eat them, but often it feels like a battle. Or, frankly, I'm busy and just don't get to offering vegetables as often as I'd like. She suggested making my own vegetable broth and then using the broth to cook things. Brillant! Why didn't I think of this? This particular recipe comes from a cancer cookbook. I made it this afternoon and it is wonderful. Very mild, very easy (I went to the pool while I had it on the stove all afternoon) with just a twinge of sweetness. I drank a couple cups of it straight like you would a hot tea and plan to cook some millet with it tomorrow. I think I'll freeze the rest.

6 unpeeled carrots, cut into thirds
2 unpeeled yellow onions, skin on and cut into chunks
1 leek, white and green parts, cut into thirds
1 bunch celery, including the heart, cut into thirds
5 unpeeled cloves of garlic, halved
1/2 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
4 medium red potatoes with skins on, quartered
2 sweet potatoes with skins on, quartered
1 garnet yam with skin on, quartered
1 strip of kombu
2 bay leaves
12 whole black peppercorns
4 whole allspice or juniper berries
1 T sea salt

Rinse all veggies, including the kombu. In a 12-qt stockpot, combine all ingredients, except the salt. Fill pot to 2" below the rim with water, cover, and bring to a boil. Remove the lid, decrease heat to low and let simmer for at least 2 hours. As water evaporates, you may add more. Simmer until full richness of vegetables can be tasted. Add salt and stir. Strain the stock. Bring to room temp before refrigerating or freezing.

3 comments:

  1. This broth is a huge hit with everyone in my family and many of my friends with picky eaters. I especially love it when mixed with a bone broth for extra nourishment and flavor.

    ReplyDelete