Thursday, July 8, 2010

Dinner Dud

I'm not a chef but I like to believe I am a decent cook. I can tweak the heck out of a recipe and come up with something fabulous but I'm not particularly gifted in the "look in the fridge, see what is there and come up with an edible meal" category. I'd like to be in that category. The last few meals I made up on the fly were pretty good and, well, I think I became a bit overconfident. I've been experimenting with whole grains lately and last week I made some millet. I think I got millet and kamut confused because it wasn't what I thought it was going to be. I even took the time to make my own mineral broth so the millet was super nutritious. Well, fast forward almost a full week to tonight. I had pulled some yellow squash and zucchini out of the garden (neither of which are a family favorite...don't ask why I bothered to plant them) and decided to saute those and serve with the millet. Not my best meal under the best conditions, but the kids were hungry and I was in a hurry. I pull the millet out of the back of the fridge and it is hard as a rock. I know it isn't really edible (even I didn't really want to eat it) but I'm stuck without a back up plan so I give the kids some song and dance about it being sort of like a cracker (talk about a stretch). Poor things are so hungry they actually try it. We finally get to the table and my 19 month old pick up the CHUNK (no exaggeration) of millet and says, "Rock." I feel awful. They are so hungry and bless my four-year-old...she is actually choking some down. Anyway, we ended up having those chocolate muffins (with cacao and zucchini) for dinner tonight. That and some fruit. At least there was some nutrition in the muffins and the kids were thrilled. Talk about a dinner dud. What can I say...nobody is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment