Saturday, July 3, 2010

Chocolate Muffins

Holy cow, I'm pooped. The kids were off celebrating independence day elsewhere, so I decided to take the time to load up on healthy snacks and meals for our deep freeze. I literally stood and cooked for at least 6 hours. Anyway, I had to share this with you as I think any kid would eat them. I mean, what's not to like about moist chocolate? And, yes, for my naysayers out there (just in case you ever find yourself actually reading my blog)...you know who you are...the ones that talk behind my back saying my kids are so deprived because I don't give them goldfish and candy....they do get chocolate muffins...and even though they don't have sugar and still have a veggie in them...I assure you they are quite tasty. Pllpht.

1 1/2 cups molasses (you can use brown sugar if you prefer)
1/4 cup melted pastured butter
3/4 cup coconut oil
3 pastured eggs
1 t vanilla
1/2 c buttermilk
2 c FINELY grated zucchini (if you grate it too big you'll have visible strings of zucchini)
1 c cacao chips
2 c unbleached white whole wheat flour
1 c cacao powder (don't sub something else for this)
1/2 t salt
2 t baking soda
1 t allspice
1/2 t cinnamon

Pre-heat oven to 350. Lightly grease large muffin pans.
In a medium bowl mix together the sugar, butter and oil. Beat in eggs, one at a time until well Incorporated. Stir in vanilla, buttermilk, zucchini and chocolate chips.
In a separate bowl mix together all of the dry ingredients. Add the liquid ingredients and mix until well combined. Spoon batter into large muffin pans. Bake in the center of the oven for about 35 minutes. Don't overcook them or you will lose all the moist goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment