Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Winners and Losers

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am always trying out new recipes. Most of them I tweak to make them as healthy as possible. Tonight, I wanted so much to push out my theoretical feathers and strut as I blogged about how I made home made spinach gnocchi. Ummmm, yeah. No such luck. I cooked for 90 minutes. Prepping, rolling and then freezing the gnocchi. Unfortunately, as soon as the "gnocchi" hit the boiling water it pretty much dissolved. My four year old was watching me and asked me if it was soup and would it taste better than it looks. Uhhh, NO. However, there is always a silver lining and the good news is the sweet potato pudding I had made to go along with the gnocchi was so yummy that both girls ate two bowls. The recipe is as follows and will definitely make it onto my Thanksgiving Day table. I don't think anyone would even suspect it is healthy.

3 large sweet potatoes, quartered
1t grated fresh ginger (I forgot to add this)
1/2t cinnamon
1/4t nutmeg
1/8t salt
2T orange juice (I used the juice from 2 oranges)
2T molasses
3/4c yogurt cheese
1/4c pecan halves

Preheat oven to 350 and bake potatoes until soft. When they are cool enough to handle, remove the skinds and mash until completely smooth (I blended all of the ingredients in my Vitamix). Mash in the remaining ingredients (except pecans) until completely smooth. Decorate the top with pecans and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until the top is lightly browned. If prepared in advance and refrigerated, increase the baking time by 5-10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment